How to Choose the Right Management Software
With the number of complex services they provide, from simplifying operational processes to managing your members, the coworking software you choose will play a fundamental role in your space. But this choice can be a tough one: These comprehensive platforms often offer so many services, integrations, and add-on features that it can feel overwhelming to determine the most important factors. Below, we’ve eliminated some of the guesswork by narrowing down the most important functionalities a software should have for a coworking space. We also share some general advice about choosing the right software to meet your needs, allowing you to make your decision with confidence.
Major Criteria to Consider:
- Access Control
- Flexibility and Efficiency of Use
- Help and Documentation
- Customization (White Label and Integrations)
- Lead Generation and Data Analysis
- Pricing Model and Scalability
Before We Start: Should You Consider a Custom Solution?
If choosing an all-inclusive management software seems like an impossible task, there is an alternative: You could build your own custom solution. Some spaces have built their own coworking management system or operating system with integrations and add-ons that specifically cater to their space, in lieu of out-of-the-box enterprise software. However, before designing a customized platform, you should make sure you have specific reasons why the above providers don’t work for you and that you have enough resources to support and maintain your custom app throughout its lifecycle.
In general, we do not recommend venturing into building a custom solution unless strictly necessary. Many of the coworking platforms listed here allow for a high degree of customization and offer good API documentation, meaning that your developers can simply build a specific feature or integration on top of the system you chose.
Kisi's Integration With Major Coworking Apps
One of the challenges most spaces face is syncing their CRM database with the other people that have access to the space, which could include staff, temporary visitors, cleaners and so on.
If you are using Kisi to control access to your space, you can leverage integrations with the highest rated coworking software, such as Nexudus, Office RND, Archie, Cobot, Coworks, Satellite Deskworks and many others! Take a look at the different integration options and see how you could benefit from them.
Methodology Used for our Software Analysis
The categories we used to rate our list of coworking management software are loosely based on the 10 Usability Heuristics for User Interface Design created by the Nielsen Norman Group, a leading authority in research-based user experience. Many of the management platforms we’ve reviewed in the past bear strong similarities to traditional enterprise software companies, with an emphasis on integrations and full stack solutions. This is why we found it appropriate to judge them by the most common UX/UI standards available, along with other factors such as the ability to control physical access to a shared workspace or to offer scalable pricing tiers.
Each grading category was broken down into specific questions concerning the features and abilities of the individual platform. Software with the same score are displayed in alphabetical order.
- Can customers control security access from the platform?
- Can customers revoke a member's access to the space when they no longer pay for their membership?
- Can customers issue smartphone keys to new members based on membership level?
- Can customers monitor all the doors in their space from anywhere in the world through the management platform?
- Can customers provide 24/7 access to their space through the security features of the software?
Flexibility and Efficiency of Use
- Can the customer automate billing and payments for members (automatic invoicing)?
- Is there a dashboard on the platform where the customer can track payments?
- Can the customer add extra, non-regular services (e.g., catered meals, package handling, event hosting, etc.)?
- Can the customer manage multiple locations through the platform?
- Is the software available in multiple languages (for both owners and members)?
- Can customers easily sign up members or cancel contracts from the platform?
- Can the members book spaces (conference rooms, event spaces, etc.) through the platform?
- Can customers edit membership contracts at any time?
Help and Documentation
- Does the company offer help with the system set up? (Is there an onboarding process?)
- Does it offer online support?
- Can customers chat, either with a bot or a live representative?
- Can the customer easily export data in a csv or similar formats?
- Can the software be integrated with other services?
- Does the software integrate with other apps, and if so, how many integrations does the software have?
- Can the customer customize the management platform with their own brand/company colors?
- Can the customer create customized membership plans (i.e., daily/weekly/monthly/yearly memberships)?
- Can the members create their own profiles on the platform?
- Does the platform offer a white label customization?
- What’s the starting price for an average coworking space (80 members)?
- What’s the price for businesses scaling to hundreds of members and potentially multiple locations?
Lead Generation and Data
- Does the software help identify leads (potential customers)?
- Can the customer create and distribute marketing or lead generating emails from the platform?
- Does the software provide data analysis or business analytics?
- Can the customer communicate with their coworking members through the software (email notifications, in-app messages, or chat)?
- Does the customer receive notifications when members violate the terms of their contract?
- Can the customer send mass emails, like newsletters, to their members through the software?
- Can the coworking members communicate or network with others through the software? (Is the software customer-facing as well as internal?)
We assigned points for every feature offered under the above criteria and ranked each company accordingly. We also took into consideration any interviews and recent updates given to us by the companies themselves.
How To Use Our Chart
While our ratings reflect the suitability of each system for most businesses and the overall level of confidence in the quality of the product they offer, it goes without saying that different companies have different needs Therefore, solutions that are not ranking high in our chart might still be the right choice for your company. Our advice is to map what needs you are looking to cover, then assess how easily and effectively the solution you are looking at meets those needs. If you still have questions, feel free to reach out to our team.